Rims

Making the wheels go around and how to stop them.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

Chilly North
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Rims

Post by Chilly North » Sun Feb 20th, 2011 6:10

Hey All, I am looking to put a wider tire on my '49, just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what rim has worked for them. I would like to keep my hub caps as well.

Thanks...

Johnny_S
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Re: Rims

Post by Johnny_S » Wed Feb 23rd, 2011 11:20

Stock drums on a P18 have a guide pin and you are using lug bolts to attach the rim to the drum. To use something other than stock you need to accomodate for the guide pin or knock it off. You can use studs but need to find left handed threaded ones on the left side/drivers side of the vehicle based on the fact that the lug bolts on the drivers side are left hand threaded as stock as well. Otherwise .... a 15 x 7 rim with a 4.5 inch - 5 bolt pattern should work if the back spacing is correct and the tire isn't too wide in profile.

bigaadams
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Deluxe_Suburban

Post by bigaadams » Mon Oct 31st, 2011 7:47

you are going to be a bit limited in your option here especially on the front...I opted for late modle 88 5th Ave rims with wire baskets on my 49 years ago..the wider tire, radials and such made for a better ride..but you will lose the original caps due to no clips onthe later model rims. Another problem you will face is the offset..while not much different, it was enough to have to use a spacer on the front to prevent tire rubbing the tie rod end..you cannot go extreme here because of the front wheel bolts have to have enough threads to show a couple turns on the inside..this ensures you have proper gripping ability..the locator pin can be easily retained by just drilling a hole in between two lug bolt holes..that way you still get the benefit of the aide and hold all originality of the drum in case you want to go back. Later model aluminum wheels can be a hassle due to the one thing mentioned above..finding lug bolts of sufficient length and "bulge" to ensure proper torque displacement..most times these wheels are affixed to those cars with chassis upgrades..
Attachments
Ditzy303-2.JPG
The Ditzy with 5th Ave wheels/baskets
Ditzy303-2.JPG (46.79 KiB) Viewed 1550 times

Johnny_S
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Post by Johnny_S » Mon Oct 31st, 2011 8:52

I've actually interacted with at least one fellow who added studs to his stock drums rather than mess with the "left" hand --- "right" hand threaded bolt issue. So that's an option as well if you aren't looking to keep that particular set of drums stock.