Parking Brake

Making the wheels go around and how to stop them.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bob_horne
Hey! I'm new here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Parking Brake

Post by bob_horne » Thu Feb 20th, 2003 10:23

My parking brake lining is almost gone. What kind of material could be used to replace the lining? It seems to be riveted on with regular brakes shoe rivets. :P thanks, Bob
Bob 49 & 38

Root Beer Stand
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Root Beer Stand » Thu Jul 17th, 2008 5:25

Mine is gone too. Just saw that today and it appears to be rivited..
My neighbor is and old retired mechanic......the other day he saw me cussing trying to get the right rear brake drum off....We talked this morning and he said he has the tool to remove them :D
I will ask what to use on the parking brake and reply soon

RBS

Johnny_S
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Post by Johnny_S » Thu Jul 17th, 2008 7:26

Those are rebuildable. I think anyone who relines brakes or clutches could work on these too. I think the original material was much like brake lining. Probably down to the asbestos fibers too. Vendors like Mitchell Motor Parts or Roberts Motors or Andy Bernbaum or Neil Riddle (Seaplym ... on eBay) should be able to help if you can't find someone local to help you.

Root Beer Stand
Deluxe Member

Post by Root Beer Stand » Fri Jul 18th, 2008 2:52

Cool!

Specialdeluxe
Administrator

NOS Parking Brake

Post by Specialdeluxe » Sat Jul 19th, 2008 12:34

I had this post in mind when I went to the garage today. I found a NOS parking brake band on Ebay a few years ago. Here are some pics of it and there are some pics of one mounted on the trans in todays progress update. I tried to show how it is lined for you.

In the side shot you can see the brass heads of the rivets on the right side of the pic. You can barely see where they are on the brake lining itself (whiteish dots), they don't come all the way through the lining. The lining is a fiber-like substance.

Parts info:

Band Assembly 870500
Lining 16 11/16" of 396389

Bands can be found here:

http://www.oldmoparts.com/g.htm
Attachments
100_1459.jpg
Side view
100_1459.jpg (207.65 KiB) Viewed 2967 times
100_1458.jpg
Top View
100_1458.jpg (237.94 KiB) Viewed 2967 times

Good going in your Plymouth! :driving:

Paul Schettner
'49plymouth.com - Webmaster

UncleReeRee
Tire Kicker
Plymouth: Deluxe_Club_Coupe

Re: Parking Brake

Post by UncleReeRee » Mon Aug 3rd, 2009 11:00

hey all!! im trying to fix my parking brake and noticed that it is missing the brake band. can some one send me a picture of how its saposta be mounted\connrcted or the picture it shows in the manual??? and on this note, i bought a parking brake cable for a 49 Desoto and was wondering if it will work on my 49 Plymouth??

and looking to buy those parts and a list of others!

Specialdeluxe
Administrator

Post by Specialdeluxe » Tue Aug 4th, 2009 5:54

Paul Schettner

Root Beer Stand
Deluxe Member

Post by Root Beer Stand » Tue Aug 4th, 2009 12:34

The band is a pain to put on while the drum is attached but can be done :)
A large pair of channel locks is a huge help!

RBS
"Lucille" the Grandkids, the Mrs, and me!!

UncleReeRee
Tire Kicker

Post by UncleReeRee » Tue Aug 4th, 2009 2:31

thankx for the pix!!! yeeaa, im missing all that kind of good stuff! :D

i posted on the wanted parts section the parts i need.

UncleReeRee
Tire Kicker

Post by UncleReeRee » Mon Aug 17th, 2009 11:07

UPDATE!!

i bought off ebay a parking brake band and lining for $10!!! ($10 for part and $ for shipping, so $20)

BUT the problem i have now is that it is missing the bolt and spring. is this a special part or can i just make it with a bolt and spring?? if so what size/kind of spring/bolt??? can anybody post stats on the bolt and spring?? or where i can buy one, ive checked most of the sites on the website and ebay.

Specialdeluxe
Administrator

Post by Specialdeluxe » Tue Aug 18th, 2009 2:26

I'd check a salvage yard for one or post in the parts wanted section. I bet someone on here has an extra.

Paul Schettner

Root Beer Stand
Deluxe Member

Post by Root Beer Stand » Tue Aug 18th, 2009 5:35

Pretty sure for several years the parking brake parts will interchange.
Salvage yards are great place to look as said before. Got a lot of needed and extra stuff for "Lucille" from the yards.
I know where all the parts should be you need are but it is setting in a feed lot on the frame a few miles from here, been there for 20 years, not much worth anything that can be picked out without a loader to turn the ole girl over which is sad :(

RBS
"Lucille" the Grandkids, the Mrs, and me!!

UncleReeRee
Tire Kicker

Post by UncleReeRee » Mon Nov 16th, 2009 11:33

UPDATE!!

so-cal SUX for classice car junk yards!!! i went to 6 of them and none of them had anyhting older than a 74!! :(

BUT get this!!! i just remember my neighbor has an 41 dodge panel wagon with a p24 motor and trans. (hes a super kool guy. i was looking for stock rims and he had them, even tho they were 16" rims with original 50s white wall tube tires!! he just traded me for the junk rims i had on my car!!!!)

soo i looked under it and it had the whole parking break set up!!! i asked how much u want for it he said dont worrie bout just take it and b happy!!!!! YEEEAY!!

but now im a little stuck. i took out my stock parking break cable B4 i got my new cable. soooo now i dont remember how it is mounted to the body!! can anyone help me with this simple issue??? :mrgreen: