Disc Brakes

Making the wheels go around and how to stop them.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

Specialdeluxe
Administrator
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Disc Brakes

Post by Specialdeluxe » Thu Jul 17th, 2008 11:42

Here are the two disc brake conversion kits that will work with the stock rims and tires.

The kit offered by Rusty Hope http://www.rustyhope.com uses the existing three mounting holes which require drilling and tapping to 5/8” thread, and drilling out the steering arm holes. I hear the service is superb and they are all about Mopars.

The other kit by Scarebird http://www.scarebird.com requires no modifications to install.
Attachments
PLY~parts.jpg
Scarebird kit
PLY~parts.jpg (33.7 KiB) Viewed 5478 times
Plymouth.jpg
Rusty Hope kit
Plymouth.jpg (43.79 KiB) Viewed 5483 times

Good going in your Plymouth! :driving:

Paul Schettner
'49plymouth.com - Webmaster

Specialdeluxe
Administrator
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Post by Specialdeluxe » Mon Aug 18th, 2008 3:51

I sent one of the dropped uprights from Fatman fabrications to the Scarebird company. They checked the uprights to see if they would work with their disc brake conversion kit. Here's the response with photos:

Paul,

as far as I can tell these will work- see pix. one thing I did note was that the turn stop welds interfered with the stops' you will need to grind the fillet some.

Mark
Attachments
IMG_0852.JPG
IMG_0852.JPG (53.09 KiB) Viewed 5154 times
IMG_0851.JPG
IMG_0851.JPG (56.52 KiB) Viewed 5155 times

Good going in your Plymouth! :driving:

Paul Schettner
'49plymouth.com - Webmaster

hemirr
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Club_Coupe

Re: Disc Brakes

Post by hemirr » Fri Sep 17th, 2010 6:52

AAJ Brakes also supplies front disc brake kits for Mopars going back now to '36. (AAJBrakes.com) I just got his kit for my Club Coupe and it is well made as I expected. (have one of his kits on my '65 Imperial and it uses F100 rotors so as to use the 5.5 bolt pattern stock Imperial wheels, very well done). It also requires drilling and tapping the knuckle as mentioned for the Rusty Hope kit. I also bought his under-floor disc/drum master cylinder and cylinder/pedal lever mounting kit. A bit more expensive than universal but looks like it will fall into place. He also gave me advice that if I didn't care about the looks, rather than buying his kit I could gut the stock master cylinder and extend the activation rod through and out the other end, and fab a mount for a modern master cylinder, lot cheaper than his kit...that's honesty. I also have a Scarebird conversion for a later mopar...rear of my '72 Cuda 340...it worked fine too but used rare and expensive calipers for a '79 Firebird rear...heck the core charge alone would have been $80 each, but I found some nasty ones at a junkyard for $20 to use for cores...I understand he's changed that since. I've never tried the other one listed.
Bill in south central Indiana with a '49 Special Deluxe Club Coupe rod project and some later Mopar muscle cars and daily drivers