What to do with all those wires.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

Franklyn
Flathead Fixer
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Brake Light switch?

Post by Franklyn » Fri Jan 15th, 2010 11:43

A quick question:

where is the brake light switch located on my 49 special deluxe 4dr?

is it an electrical switch?

p18plywood
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Station_Wagon

Re: Brake Light switch?

Post by p18plywood » Sun Jan 17th, 2010 11:41

Your brake light switch should be on the left side of the car underside, forward of the axel about a foot. It is inline with the brake line. If you were to follow the brake line back from the master cylinder you would come to the switch. It is about an inch in diameter with two wires connected to it. If you need to replace it, you may need to rebleed the brakes because air may have gotten into the line.
Gerry

p18plywood
Deluxe Member

Post by p18plywood » Sun Jan 17th, 2010 11:49

I see you are in BC. I dont know if you are anywhere near Abbotford, but there is a fellow there by the name of Ed McEwen who is restoring a 49 Plymouth woodie wagon just like mine. He is doing a great job and is pretty knowledgeable about 49 Plymouths in general.
Gerry

Franklyn
Flathead Fixer
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Post by Franklyn » Tue Jan 19th, 2010 1:03

Thanks for the tips!

are these brake light switches an easy part to find/replace?

is it a universal piece?

funny enough I actually live IN Abbotsford.

Ed McEwen you say?

p18plywood
Deluxe Member

Post by p18plywood » Wed Jan 20th, 2010 9:12

Before you replace the brake light switch test it to make sure that is the problem. All you need to do is touch the two wires going to the switch while some watches to see if the brake light comes on. Of course you should also check to see if the bulbs are good. The connections in those sockets can be a devil to get to work. Sometime a little corrosion will keep the it from making good contact. Stretch out the little spring under the contact insulator in ther socket to make sure the contact press against the blub. If none of this work then it is probably the switch. There are no fuses in the stock wiring, so it can't be that.
Ed and I started a site just for Plymouth woodie wagons. We both started restoring 49 wagons about the same time and there was very little info available about them. He did all the actual construction of the site. The web is www.plymouthwoodys.com. It's always good to meet other local Plymouth folks.
Gerry

angelblue15
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Post by angelblue15 » Mon Jun 10th, 2013 10:54

hi everyone my name is shawn down in schertz tx owner of hard knocks custos a restoration shop/custom cars. I just got my 49 plymouth an have some great plans