I Can't Get No, Satisfaction - or - My 49 P-18 Won't Start

What to do with all those wires.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

perrymedik
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

I Can't Get No, Satisfaction - or - My 49 P-18 Won't Start

Post by perrymedik » Wed Dec 22nd, 2010 3:19

So I got my 1949 P-18 that has been in the family since it came off the show room floor to my home here in Chesapeake VA,two days ago. My dad told me that he couldn't get it to start, but it has a brand new 6 volt battery in it.

I took a look at the batterty and it was charged up at just a hair over 6v. I put the key in the ignition and. . . rRr rRr rRr the engine tries to turn over.

Didn't start. I replaced the Coil, the plug wires, and the plugs, Added fuel stablizer water remover to the gas tank (it's been sitting a while) but still, it won't start.

Checked for power out of the coil and it's there. Checked for power out of the plugs by inserting one of those little light testers that is supposed to glow every time there is power going to the plug, but it didn't come on - ever. Don't know if that is because the car is a 6v system. Any way, engine won't turn over. Don't know if its a spark or a fuel problem.

It may have to do with it being in the very low 30's to very high 20's, but something isn't quite right. I know the car runs, I drove it about 18 months ago. I also know that there is something wrong with the charging system (my dad thinks it has to do with the generator brushes).

I have up to this point replaced the following:

Coil
Distributor Cap
Distributor Rotor
Distributor Condensor
Spark Plug Wires
Spartk Plugs

I actually got it to back fire - twice - today after sparying Carb Cleaner down the intake, but still it doesn't sound like it's doing anything more then turning the motor over. To cough or spark to life or even toward life.

The car had about 1/4 tank of fuel in in when I got it and I have no idea of how long it had been in the tank. I added 5 gallons of fresh fuel today, along with "HEET" and a fuel stableizer/octan enhancer to help out if the fuel has gone flat.

I am pretty sure I smelled fuel when I was turning over the engin, but won't swear to it.

Again, it's pretty chilly out, about 42F. I know that temps have a play in this, but I would at least think I could get a cough out of the old boy.

Any help to get this bad boy up and running again would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Cory

Root Beer Stand
Deluxe Member

Re: I Can't Get No, Satisfaction - or - My 49 P-18 Won't Sta

Post by Root Beer Stand » Wed Dec 22nd, 2010 3:37

Try pouring a shot glass of gas down the carb throat. Put the breather cover back on and crank for a few seconds.
"Lucille" the Grandkids, the Mrs, and me!!

perrymedik
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by perrymedik » Wed Dec 22nd, 2010 3:49

Root Beer Stand wrote:Try pouring a shot glass of gas down the carb throat. Put the breather cover back on and crank for a few seconds.
Okay. Would you recommend not using the Carb Cleaner spray to start it up?

perrymedik
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by perrymedik » Wed Dec 22nd, 2010 4:07

Poured the shot, and also hooked up my truck to the 49 to give it some extra cranking power in this cold weather.

It turned over faster then it did with out the jumper, but still no start. Got a few back fire effects from the intake when I held the gas down (more of a last ditch gesture in frustration).

So - Great Minds - what do I do now. How do I figure out where the problem is so that I can fix it?

Thanks!

Cory

Root Beer Stand
Deluxe Member

Post by Root Beer Stand » Wed Dec 22nd, 2010 4:55

A manual may help. Found most problems are simple if we know the cause.
Replacing parts is not an answer without knowing what needs replaced in most cases in my opinion.
There are many manuals available online.

RBS

Root Beer Stand
Deluxe Member

Post by Root Beer Stand » Wed Dec 22nd, 2010 4:57

Another try........... a shot and no gas pedal. Backfires can indicate a lean fuel mix.

perrymedik
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by perrymedik » Wed Dec 22nd, 2010 6:36

Root Beer Stand - Could you point me to some of the manuals you were refering to?

I've been in the process of trying to find a good one using Google. I like paper manuals, but I'll take an electronic one in the mean time.

Thanks!

Cory

Root Beer Stand
Deluxe Member

Post by Root Beer Stand » Thu Dec 23rd, 2010 12:20

http://www.49plymouth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36 talks about the one I got off ebay, will take some looking to find who it was I bought it from Cory.

RBS

Root Beer Stand
Deluxe Member

Post by Root Beer Stand » Thu Dec 23rd, 2010 12:34

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PLYMOUTH ... 43a0f4cdf1

Same manual I have and the same ebay seller Cory

p18plywood
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Station_Wagon

Post by p18plywood » Thu Dec 23rd, 2010 1:55

Not being there to observe the engine I can only make some quesses as to the problem. First if it has a stock electrical system I assume it is hooked up with a positive ground. Second the battery cables are of the proper heavy 00 guage size. The wimpy 12 volt cables won't cut it, especially in cold weather. If all of this is right and it doesn't spin over quickly, you might pull the starter and look at the condition of the brushes and armature. If it is badly worn this could put an undue load on the electrical system. If all of this works then the last thing to look at is the spark at the plugs. Pull one of the plugs and have someone look to see if there is spark while you turn the key. If you have spark then it is time to look at the carb and the fuel delivery system. I always start with the basic easy stuff. That quite often does the trick.
Twenties and thirties, wow! I lived in Norfolk for a couple years and don't remember it ever getting that cold. Must be more of that global warming.
Best of luck and have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Gerry

John Hanna
Tire Kicker
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Club_Coupe

Post by John Hanna » Mon Dec 27th, 2010 1:00

Hello,here are the tune-up specs from my 46-56 motors book.
1949 all models,plugs auto-lite AR5, gap .035,firing order 153624,timing mark tdc on vib. damp.,engine idle speed rpm 475.,breaker point opening .020
my advise is to check that the battery cables are tight, then check the wires to the dist. are secure,proceed to inspect the points if they look ok then check for proper gap,then pull the number one plug out,keep it hooked to the spark plug wire and lay it on the head ,and have someone crank the engine,while you see if there is any spark.
also you need to be sure that fuel is getting in the carb,don't guess pull the air cleaner and move the mechanical linkage by hand see if there is indeed fuel in the carb.
If this is not enough to get you going just say,as I'am sure we can walk you thru this problem,good luck sincerely, John Hanna.

perrymedik
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by perrymedik » Sun Feb 20th, 2011 12:10

So here is the update. Since we last spoke I have, as of yesterday been able to finally get spark to the plugs. Turnes out the points must have been a little dirty. So I took some sand paper and ran it in between them and wouldn't you know it - Spark!

I then verified that each plug (new by the way) was properlly gapped and firing. Still, the car won't start. I checked the carb and made sure that fuel was flowing while the motor was being turned over, and it is.

So, new Battery (pos Ground), new Cap, Roter and Condenser, new plug wires and new plugs. Still won't start. It doesn't even cough. Occasionally it will back fire out the carb, but that's it.

I don't know where to go from here. I think I've checked everthing out. I haven't done anything with the starter or checked the Generator yet. But the Generator wouln't effect the vehicle starting would it?

Any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Cory

perrymedik
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by perrymedik » Mon Feb 21st, 2011 8:58

****UPDATE****

So I checked to make sure that the #1 was at TDC and the rotar was pointing to the #1 plug wire. Found out it was off by 1 so I rotated them all to the right by 1 spot. Crossed my fingers and turned the ignition. Still no difference.

I then hooked up my Dodge Ram to the battery as suggested earlier. The engine spins faster, but really, no change.

I disconnected the truck from the car and then removed the #1 spark plug to make sure that I was still getting spark.

As I was cranking over the engine white mist/smoke began puffing out of the #1 Plug hole as well as the carb. Never saw that happen before. The top of the #1 head doesn't look wet like it's getting fuel, but then again, I don't know what it should look like. I know for a fact that there is fuel being dumped into the top of the carb, because I've watched it.

So, since I know that I am getting spark, and I know that the top of the carb is getting fuel, could my problem be the carb?

The last time I drove the car was 18 months ago before I left for deployment. Since that time, it sat in our farms barn. We're talking a real barn, in the real country.

I don't want to say that I'm getting frustrated at this point, but i'm running out of things that could be the problem.

I appreciate all of the help you all have given me. I'll be standing by for your suggestions.

Thanks again!

Cory

Root Beer Stand
Deluxe Member

Post by Root Beer Stand » Mon Feb 21st, 2011 2:29

Hope a 12v boost didn't blow anything...... Fuel gauge, lamps, electric choke, radio etc....
Folks here are eager to help but there has be someone around there with some old system experience Cory.
They are simple and easy to work on but knowing what does what, when, why and being there to see it will help.
I would really hate to see you spend more money than needed on more parts only to have a nice car that won't run

RBS

perrymedik
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by perrymedik » Mon Feb 21st, 2011 2:44

RBS,

Nope, nothing blown. I didn't have the Truck running and everything on the P-18 was turned off.

I agree, it's a simple system, which is why i'm beating my head about why I can't get it started. ughh. Frustration!

I'm hoping some one here comes up with the magic solution here soon.

I'm thinking more and more about the card. Since I have fire at the plugs, and gas to the carb, I can only wonder if it's not getting past the carb and to the plugs, thus no combustion. But then again, I could be all hosed up!

LOL!

Cory