What to do with all those wires.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

Franklyn
Flathead Fixer
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Dull/Slow Turn Signals *update PROBLEM SOLVED*

Post by Franklyn » Wed May 11th, 2011 8:52

Hey folks,
So much help on this site so far, thanks:)

My car is running and driving great now, and all lights including brake lights are working fine....

EXCEPT: my turn signals are very dull in the back, but look fine up front. In addition to this the aftermarket flasher unit under dash, clicks at a reasonable speed while revving or driving, but while idling, it slows down so much that it occasionally stops.

Any ideas?

My first thought is bad grounds, but seems the bad ground wouldn't be in the taillight housing unless the tail lights ALSO were dull.
Last edited by Franklyn on Thu May 12th, 2011 8:52, edited 1 time in total.

P-18_Guy
Hey! I'm new here.

Re: Dull/Slow Turn Signals

Post by P-18_Guy » Wed May 11th, 2011 10:53

hmmm... that is a bit puzzling

your observation about the engine speed suggests that the basic problem is low voltage -- maybe the battery or terminal connections are a bit suspect? it would be good to rule this out for starters of course

since you're eliminated the possibility of a bad ground with the signal light, maybe there's also a high resistance connection to the wire going to the rear signal (which would aggravate battery low voltage, if that's actually a contributor)

good luck -- let us know what you find out! :)

Franklyn
Flathead Fixer

Post by Franklyn » Wed May 11th, 2011 11:53

Agreed, I'm going to rule out battery terminals for the moment, as it seems that low voltage from battery terminals would also affect other lighting systems in the car, as opposed to just the turn signals. Unless anyone else has any insight??

I have been planning to run new wires for the turn signals (as I'm slowly rewiring one wire at a time as time allows)
I will rewire the turns tomorrow and report back.

P-18_Guy
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by P-18_Guy » Thu May 12th, 2011 4:12

Franklyn wrote:...I'm going to rule out battery terminals for the moment, as it seems that low voltage from battery terminals would also affect other lighting systems in the car, as opposed to just the turn signals...
Yep, if the battery terminals are free of obvious corrosion and snug, they're probably just fine. Of course lights in the front have shorter wire runs and so lower resistance as a result. I like the idea of new wires to the back -- could be smaller gauge wire was used sometime in the past. Tinning the wire ends with solder makes for a more durable hookup under the contact screw too -- just another thought from an armchair mechanic... ;)

Franklyn
Flathead Fixer

Post by Franklyn » Thu May 12th, 2011 11:04

good tip,
I haven't been doing that on all connections, but thanks for the reminder.
Getting the best possible connection is always key.

It also appears to me that the wires to the turns are 16 gauge,
I have a bunch of 14 gauge kicking around and will run those after I have my morning coffee here:)

P-18_Guy
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by P-18_Guy » Thu May 12th, 2011 1:16

hey coffee sounds good to me -- pour me a virtual cup will you? ;) I've been resting my eyes after making a 4:30 am airport run to drop off my wife...

the 14 gauge wire sounds like a good idea -- this is probably one of those situations where every little bit helps...

Franklyn
Flathead Fixer

Post by Franklyn » Thu May 12th, 2011 8:51

Well I ran 14 gauge wire for the turn signals as well as for the front parking lights.

to my astonishment, the problem had reversed itself??! the rear tails and turns were great, but the front turns were dull.

I discovered that there is no real way to clean up the grounds on the front turn signal lights, because the housing itself grounds to the body sheet metal. That ground didn't seem to be enough( diagnosed by using some scrap wire to jump an available chassis bolt and obtaining great lights when doing so) I resolved to jump from the screw that holds the front turn signal housing to an available grill mounting bolt with some 14 gauage wire and appropriate connectors. I did this from the inside of the front wheel wells. Initially worried about clearance from the tire, I convinced myself it was okay as long as its a clean job and hangs down no further than the hot leads that go to the headlights and turn signals etc.

problem solved for now, and bright lights all the way around! :)

on to the next thing!!

P-18_Guy
Hey! I'm new here.

Re: Dull/Slow Turn Signals *update PROBLEM SOLVED*

Post by P-18_Guy » Thu May 12th, 2011 10:22

glad you found a workable fix -- interesting that the 14 ga made the rears brighter than the fronts. thanks for the troubleshooting info (and the coffee!) ;)