Great site

Have a comment about the message board or want to suggest a new topic category?

Moderator: Specialdeluxe

Johnny_S
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

I'm still here - Ready to rock and roll

Post by Johnny_S » Fri Mar 10th, 2006 6:59

Yep....still here. Prowl the site fairly frequently for new info. I too am interested in seeing it come to life again. Not doing a lot on my 49 right at the moment. I did fire her up the other day and charged the battery. Also building a new set of 2/0 gauge battery cables for her....the old ones are just 2 gauge and aren't big enough for the current draw. Sent for a sheet metal catalog from the Plymouth Doctor a couple days ago. Moved the extra flathead motor I have sitting all nicely covered up near my garage, re-oiled the cylinders and turned it over a few times by hand just to move the oil around a little and keep her loose. And, have bought a few more pieces parts and upgraded a little off eBay. A little pricey though so that's not too frequent. Hoping that Paul is actually still out there in the ether dutifully watching the goings on with the website. I really liked the change over and the new additions. But then things just sort a died off. So, I guess we should be posting more......go for it!!! I'll try to do my share.

frederick
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Post by frederick » Sat Mar 11th, 2006 2:19

Good to see you're around Johnny. I hope you have better luck getting something done on your 49 this year than I have had trying to get my 50 on the road in the last year. Heck, I hope I have better luck too! All I've done in the last 5 months is try to keep the tarps on it. I am currently (weather permitting)building a new shop that will have a place for the old girl - no more tarps. Right now I have the brakes off of it and will have to do the rear wheel seal thing before I start putting it back together. Are you planning on putting that spare engine in your car Johhny?
Ed

Johnny_S

Extra Engine - Plans Plans Plans

Post by Johnny_S » Sat Mar 11th, 2006 7:24

Nope, I actually have three flatheads right now. The original 218 in my 49 Club Coupe and two 230's. One from a 1952 and one from a 1953 if my reading of the engine numbers is correct. I plan on building a test stand to do motor testing on them prior to installation or sale. I saw one the other day at a swap meet that just lit a fire under me to get one going. The base is one of the small 4x5 trailers from Harbor Freight, some plated steel flooring, fuel cell, radiator, battery box and "dash" panel and walla........with the right framing mounted amidst all of this you have an engine test stand.....plus an easy way to haul these engines around. I'm always nosing around for more of them too. I may ultimately build a 230 for my car but at the moment I'm still thinking pretty much original. The mods I'm seriously considering are brake changes front and rear, new Mopar rearend, open "modern" drive shaft and u-joints, and front shocks relocated. May (emphasis on "may") convert to 12 volt but right now I'm leaning on trying a binary voltage set up that I read about recently where one takes two Optima six volt batteries, hooks them in series and draws 12 v AND 6 v power off them depending on which posts the draw is coming from. It's a curious way to have the best of both worlds if the wiring gets done correctly. Seems like it will work. Probably with need two voltage regulators. Otherwise, stock interior, stock sheet metal, body off cleanup and new body mounts. Use of Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator whereever possible, new rockers, a little work on the floor boards, new paint (probably will keep an original color or close to it but will go clear coat/base coat), and the additional of a period 550 Mopar heater system and there you have it. My original motor has about 70,000 on it and will probably need to be redone fairly soon....really needs to be repainted for sure. So........what about you? What are you working on and what condition is it in?

frederick
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by frederick » Mon Mar 13th, 2006 11:05

That's interesting Johnny. I really like the engine stand concept. You know, everyone likes to see an engine running on a stand. At the tractor show here in Lynden every year I even see old ladies come over to see an engine running on a stand. I have seen everything from a 10 cylinder radial engine, huge 6 cylinder gas truck engine, Harley Davidson V-Twin, miniature hand made V-8 engines and of course the stationary engines of every description - its just very entertaining to see an engine running outside of a vehicle. Hope you build one and post pictures. The ultimate is when you can make the engine "work" a little e.g., run a generator, buzz saw, water pump, or a small dynamometer! I seem to be following a different drummer in regard to most of the folks that I see on the old Plymouth sites. My goal is just to get the old girl to perform somewhere as well as it may have back in its day - so I can drive it around without having to work on it. I will probably put 200 miles a year or less on it. I just want an old car to drive around. I like the smell of the horse hair and jute mats and the sound of the old flathead and especially the memories that I have of family and neighbors driving these things and of riding around with my friends and our parents in these cars. I have no desire to make it any faster, prettier or better handling than it has to be so that I can just cruise around the back roads and enjoy myself a couple times a year. It would never occur to me to try to make an old Plymouth go fast or handle well or look sharp. I have different cars for all those purposes. I like some of the ideas you have listed as contemplated improvements to your 49. They would work for the most part to improve the reliability and driveability. I probably wouldn't do any of these mods myself be cause it would be quicker and easier to stick with stock, although I don't have any qualms about keeping it all stock. I don't have enough time to commit to the old Plymouth and I work pretty slow. Ironically, the Plymouth that I will be putting on the road is 50. I have a 48 and 49 for parts - although if I could find an original material front and rear seat for the 48, I would probably fix it up so I could drive it. The 50 is a four door - (I forget the color name right now) green. A little spot of perforation rust on the front of the right rear fender - no dents, original paint with the distinct color of rust coming through on the front fenders and hood. the interior is really pretty good, with the exception of a large hole in the headliner. I think I will have to get that replaced. Not much for body or interior work, so will probably farm this out. Ever replace a headliner in a 49?

Johnny_S

49 Plymouth Headliner - Etc.

Post by Johnny_S » Mon Mar 13th, 2006 11:20

Nope....I've taken a couple out but never put one back in. Tearing apart is so much easier!! The headliner bows are suppose to be numbered but I would suggest applying your own numbers to them just in case. They fit in specific locations. And, save the toothed tie-downs on the sides....they are needed. Yes, I know what you mean about not driving it that much and having other vehicles for other specific purposes. I'm sitting here with 10 vehicles I believe.....and each one requires some level of resources (time/$$). I think I want my 49 to be capable of a 1000 mile roundtrip without much concern over breakdown. I want it to run 60-65 with some ease. Don't need extra power...just reliability. Safety is a big issue once its on the road so brakes, shocks, and steering are all important to me. Probably put 2000-3000 miles/year on it when its done....maybe less. Most trips would be in-town and less than 20 miles. Mine in Kitchener Green, a quite faded version at that. I'm thinking about going to New Brunswick Blue....I believe that's the original color name. As for the engine stand idea....I'm hoping to have one put together by the end of summer. I would use it to test regulators and batteries and solenoids and generators and starters........a complete set up. Maybe even mess around with various radiators and electric fan setups as well.

frederick
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by frederick » Thu Mar 16th, 2006 1:58

Johnny;
I think you have the right idea about the safety aspect. I should put more emphasis on that instead of concluding that if it isn't broke - don't look at it. I probably won't put seat belts in it, but I'll bet the doors would pop open like a jack-in -the-box if it were in a collision. You know one thing that bothers me about replacing that headliner is that there is some insulating material inside the headliner space that has asbestos in it and I don't relish the thought of dealing with it. Some people don't believe the cancer potential "scare" about asbestos - but I know how unsurvivable lung cancer is and figure I'll bet on the conservative side. I assume the interior shop personnel would use the appropriate breathing masks, but that is up to them I guess. I won't breathe asbestos dust if I can avoid it but I don't wear seat belts. How's that for logical thinging! Sounds like you have a good selection of iron to meet your needs, although there are always plenty of competing interests needing to be served. Do you ever do any drag racing? If so: car?/class?/ET?/ I'm wondering whether my '50 might be Kitchener Green? That name doesn't sound familiar. I'll have to look on that [P-15...] site where I saw the color choices before. Interesting that all the colors are named after locations in Canada. The green I have is a fairly dark green.

Johnny_S

49 modifications and such

Post by Johnny_S » Thu Mar 16th, 2006 6:16

Yes, I think yours is Kitchener Green.....certainly is close but looks like it might be a base coat/clear coat combination or a really well buffed out lacquer. There are several places to find the 49 color chip chart. I think Paul has them posted on this site in the Knowledge Base. I have scanned an original paint chip chart and could forward it to you if you are interested. Just need an email address. I've read speculation as to the origin of the color names for these 40's and early 50's Plymouths. Some claim that the Mopar executive making the final decision must have been Canadian or had Canadian roots of some sort. Maybe just a way to market in the product in Canada? As to the drag racing question. No, although I'm very interested in it and have attended a lot of races since the 60's but never got into it myself. I've got 3 four-wheel drives of sorts and spend considerable time in the backcountry of Colorado during the year. One is a 1976 K-5 Jimmy and the other 'real' 4x4 is a 1999 Suburban. The third one is a 1980 Chevy LUV 4x4 that we've had since new. It's ok for pretty tame offroad work but is generally just a parts hauler. Then there is the 94 Firebird T-top and the two Cavalier Sport Coupes and the Subaru Outback SW and the 57 Chevy Belair and the second 49 Plymouth 4-door sedan. It's primarily a parts car but has a body much better than a lot of them I see being worked on. Guess that makes 9. As to the asbestos question.....I've heard it both ways with the headliner. I'm not sure that it really has absestos in it. I did remove the one from my parts car and made sure I used a LOT of water in cleaning the interior out as it came down (I had the seats and door panels removed by then). It was very dusty, I did use a mask of sorts.....not the cheap 3M dust mask but a couple steps up from that. Plus I didn't go crazy in pulling it down. Just a little at a time and tried to stay out of the car while doing it as much as possible. Seems like it was more just plain ole dust than anything else. The actual padding/insulation seemed to be in fairly good/solid shape. I threw it away however. And, yes...I think you are right on the doors blowing open in a crash. Not a lot of lock up there. I'm putting seatbelts in mine. The folks on the P15 site have had that discussion several times over the last few years. Pete Anderson (Blueskies) has put them into his 50 Plymouth sedan and did so in a way that is pretty slick. Shoulder harness and all.

Johnny_S

1949 Plymouth Paint Chip Charts - In Gallery

Post by Johnny_S » Thu Mar 16th, 2006 6:23

The paint chip charts are in the gallery under 49 Plymouth Dealership Materials.......for curious minds who want to know.

frederick
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by frederick » Mon Mar 27th, 2006 1:53

Ah yes... before I was so rudely interupted, I was saying, if you are a gearhead, you have to have the correct vehicle for the job, or time of the year, or day of the week - well you know. It appears that you have a sufficient line-up there Johnny. I only have one 4-wheel drive, a '98 Jeep Wrangler that my wife drives. Got it two years ago - never had it in 4-wheel. Man those things get crummy gas mileage! My main line-up starts with my daily summer driver, an '89 5.0 Mustang GT I bought new, joined by a '68 Vette hardtop roadster with 350hp 327, 411 with a 4 speed, a '33 3-window coup (the only thing '33 is the body shell) fenderless, chopped, TCI frame, tubbed with a 9-inch ford, 350 turbohydro, 350 Chevy with a 671 blower, Dyer drive running 12% under, '63 split window Vette I've had since I was 17(engine & trans out and waiting restoration) '56 Merc Monterey, '55 Merc Monterey not running, '56 Merc parts car, the three Plymouths, a 280 ZX 10th anniversery model I bought last year because I thought for $2500.00 it was a good investment - dumb mistake, '74 Ford F-350 PU, '94 Ranger PU for daily winter driver - and it gets less interesting from there. Is your '57 Belair stock? I always wanted to build one with a solid front axle and fenderwell headers, etc. I'd like to see the paint chip chart if you don't mind forwarding it. Address is edhubbard_escrow@hotmail.com. I found a 50 Plymouth website tonight through a post from the 49 Yahoo group. Didn't have time to really look at it yet. Have you done your rear axle seals and the whole thing with the brakes, i.e. trying to adjust them without that special ammco tool? That whole brake scenario is next on my Plymouth agenda.

Johnny_S

Nice Array of Iron

Post by Johnny_S » Mon Mar 27th, 2006 6:29

Quite a list. Several on my wish list, particularly the 'Vettes. The 57 Belair is stock. Actual was my wife's grandfather's car. He bought it in 57 with 2000 miles on it. Unfortunately its a Belair 4 Door Sedan and not a 2 Door Hardtop. But from a story perspective its one of those "rare" actual Grandpa's Car's. It has a great interior and a better than average body. A little metal that needs replacement but not a lot. Original 265 and auto transmission both have been rebuilt. I will send you the color chart. What other Plymouth's do you have? If you found the 50plymouth.com site you have found Pete Anderson's (Blueskies Racing) site. Its very good and he has done an excellent job of documenting AND presenting his work.

frederick
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by frederick » Wed Mar 29th, 2006 12:47

That 57 sounds like one to keep in the family. What color is the body and interior? That would make a nice family car to drive aound the wife and kids. My other Plymouths are a '49 and a '48 - both beyond restoration I'm afraid - but they do run! I still haven't had a chance to look at that 50 Plymouth site.

Johnny_S

Plymouths and stuff

Post by Johnny_S » Wed Mar 29th, 2006 6:42

The 57 is two tone light blue and white. It will make a very nice "Around the Lake" car. Yes, my second 49 is a parts car as well....it may run, I know the engine turns over. My plan is to check the engine out and maybe do a rebuild.

frederick
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by frederick » Thu Mar 30th, 2006 2:24

That '57 sounds like a beauty. I just love those tri-five chevys. Speaking of rebuilding the flathead - have you any experience with the water distribution pipe located in the block? I was reading through the archives on some site (probably p-15 site) about common problem areas to examine on your flathead, and this was listed as one. It seems these things rust out and no longer distribute the cooling water to the cylinders adequately. Pulling these things out to replace them did not seem like something I would be likely to do willingly. But if it means burning the engine up I guess I could be talked into it. I don't have any idea whether I have any cooling problems yet since I haven't had the thing on the road! The car was stored for about 10 years before I got it with all the water drained out, so there is no way to know whether the previous owner(s) keep clean coolant in it. Ever had any experience with those things?

frederick
Hey! I'm new here.

Re: Great site

Post by frederick » Thu Aug 27th, 2009 6:23

Ooops! I was gone there for a bit - but as I was saying, with summer going away here in the rain forest, and looking at nine months of rain ahead, its time to hit the archives and tech features again and plan on getting some of those little projects done for next year. Like the headliner for example! Maybe the radio. I decided that I am going to get my old parts car running so I can drive it around on the farm here. Reminds me of when my older brothers would buy an old car and drive it around the farm until it breathed its last breath. That was back when you could buy a 48 plymouth super deluxe for $50.00. (1960's) I will probably drive a little differently than my brothers did, but it will still bring back old times. And that is the reason I have old cars - so why not have one as a field car again. More interesting than that Japanese built four wheeler. Frederick

Johnny_S

Re: Great site

Post by Johnny_S » Thu Aug 27th, 2009 9:39

I like how you think .... one time a friend of mine (who lived on a farm) and I built a "short" 1954 Ford "go cart" by cutting out about two and 1/2 feet of the frame and re-welding it and then mounted an all aluminum Buick V-8 with an automatic transmission a-mid-ship .... threw a 5 gallon can on the frame rails for a gas tank and a seat just off to one side, fabricated a 2 ft long drive shaft and drove the heck out of that field car .... it was a goer! If we hadn't blown the transmission up it probably would have killed one or both of us eventually. But was it ever fun for a while!