Hard to get second gear,

Putting you car into gear. VROOOOOOM!

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

SHAUN
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Hard to get second gear,

Post by SHAUN » Wed Feb 10th, 2010 7:52

Hi I have just got my Plymouth back on the road, I find it hard to down shift into second gear, the car has to be allmost stopped, up shifting no problems, I can allso shift going up hill better, some times she will pop out of secound gear if there is a load ie down hill, Also when I push the clutch down when the car is cold, it makes a loud noise, as soon as I have done a few miles no more noise, car goes cold, clutch noise returns. Money is tight so I am trying to avoid replacing th Clutch/gearbox at this time.

Johnny_S
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Re: Hard to get second gear,

Post by Johnny_S » Wed Feb 10th, 2010 10:56

First check all of your adjustments and see that all of the shift levers are properly connected. Check to see that you aren't missing a rubber grommet in the shift mechanism somewhere that's creating extra "slop" in the linkage. Check a service manual for details. Sounds like it could need either a shift lever or a clutch pedal adjustment.

Is the "hard downshift" accompanied by the grinding of gears or does it just not want to "go into" second on the downshift?

Have you tried revving the engine a little and double clutching on the downshift? Sometimes that helps align gears that are getting a little worn.

John

SHAUN
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by SHAUN » Wed Feb 10th, 2010 7:23

Hi thanks for the reply, I have adjusted the clutch but no better it grinds when trying to down shift to 1st or 2nd, unless you are going very slow then she changes great, I have tried double declutching no help unless going up steep hill, then she changes great, will take a look at the linkage. any thoughts on the clutch noise Thanks Shaun

Johnny_S
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Post by Johnny_S » Wed Feb 10th, 2010 11:49

Are you getting a squealing sound? Does it occur with the clutch out? Clutch in? or both?

SHAUN
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by SHAUN » Sat Feb 13th, 2010 9:14

Hi yes squealing sound with the clutch down, but only when in gear, with the car at tick over, after a few miles it stops?? and only comes back when the car has been stopped for a few miles, When I had the car last summer she did not do this, it started after being laid up for a few months when the weather got colder. Thanks Shaun

SHAUN
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by SHAUN » Sun Feb 14th, 2010 6:13

Sorry in the last post should of said comes back when been stopped for a few hrs not miles.

roughn3ck
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Deluxe_2dr_Sedan

Post by roughn3ck » Mon Mar 22nd, 2010 10:06

have you checked your gear grease in transmition it might be low or it sounds like a sincronizer is going out or maybe the throw out bearing all those things will make it hard to shift

SHAUN
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by SHAUN » Tue Mar 30th, 2010 5:35

Hi yes Have changed the Oil, just got hold of a second hand box so will change it and the clutch, Thanks for the help Shaun

Root Beer Stand
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Post by Root Beer Stand » Wed Apr 14th, 2010 5:23

Sounds a little like when we first got "Lucille"
When she was cold second we tough and if missed bout had to stop and start over or grind though the pattern.
Got worse as time went on.
Put the old girl on ramps, had the neighbor run through the pattern while I gave less than 2 turns on an adjustment nut on the linkage till smooth.......
Problem solved so far, been over a year :)

RBS
"Lucille" the Grandkids, the Mrs, and me!!

SHAUN
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by SHAUN » Thu Apr 15th, 2010 7:59

Thanks for the reply, I have tried adjusting the linkage with out much luck, but I dont know if the car is getting better, or more lightly I am getting used to (Percy) but I can change gear better than ever now, I seem to know when it is going to go in to gear before I have even finished moving the lever, The car jumps out of second gear, but at the exact same places in town every time, I have started to avoid those places or now, know to change up to third and back do to second, goes in as smooth as you like, Its all part of the fun of driving the old car every day.