2008-09-12 - Engine Parts - Power Wagon John

Check here for progress updates on the webmaster's P18 restoration.

Moderator: Specialdeluxe

Specialdeluxe
Administrator
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

2008-09-12 - Engine Parts - Power Wagon John

Post by Specialdeluxe » Wed Sep 17th, 2008 6:16

So I was poking around on Ebay and come across a 230 crank for sale. The seller listed their location as St. Paul. I click on the contact seller button and send him a message asking if he also has the flywheel and rods to go with the crank. He replies back to give him a call. I call him up and he tells me that he deals with Dodge Power Wagons, has about 28 of them and probably any part I'd be looking for. He was heading out of town for a week so after 45 minutes talking Mopar we set up a day to meet.

When I head over to his place I saw that he wasn't kidding about the mass quantities of parts and trucks he has around the place. He gave me the grand tour of his truck collection and it did not disappoint. He said that he just can't get himself to throw anything away for fear that if he did someone would come by needing it and it would be gone. Amazing stories from the guy too! He has one of the first Dodge Power Wagons. Another one he said they only made 25 of, he has four. There were parts on shelves, in lofts and rafters. It was hard sometimes to keep up with him as he rounded up the parts I was looking for and sidetracked to show me something neat and cool. One item in the drive under a tarp, a '41 Dodge business coupe. John is yet another enjoyable individual, and another guy named John, I have met on this project. I hope to see him again.

I did really good at John's place and came out with some much needed parts.

230 Crank
230 Flywheel
230 Rods
Oil Pan
1 Rear Brake drum (he turned it and the 3 I brought too!)
A bag of nuts, bolts & misc.

Cost = $200

Hanging out with the guy... Priceless!

Power Wagon John can be found on ebay:

<a href="http://stores.ebay.com/POWER-WAGON-JOHN ... km">John's Ebay Store</a><p>
or contact me for John's other contact info.

Good info:

The reason for needing the 230 flywheel

The 218 block and 230 block are the same.

The 230 flywheel is different than the 218, as it has a 3/16" recess in the face that mates to the crank. This is because the 230 crank flange is 3/16" thicker than the 218. The recess in the flywheel positions the teeth on the ring gear for the starter in the same place for either setup. If you use the 218 flywheel, the starter will not fully engage the ring gear.

Info is from Pete's 50plymouth.com site.
Attachments
68_11.JPG
Power Wagon John can be found on ebay:

http://stores.ebay.com/POWER-WAGON-JOHNS-DODGE-TRUCK-SHOP_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsxQ3asstQQtZkm
68_11.JPG (4.14 KiB) Viewed 2520 times
230crank2.JPG
230crank2.JPG (11.71 KiB) Viewed 2520 times
230crank.JPG
230crank.JPG (19.71 KiB) Viewed 2520 times
clutch side.jpg
230 and 218 crank side by side showing the clutch side of things.
clutch side.jpg (230.97 KiB) Viewed 2520 times
230_218flywheel.jpg
230 and 218 crank side by side.
230_218flywheel.jpg (262.11 KiB) Viewed 2520 times
230_flywheel.jpg
230 flywheel
230_flywheel.jpg (274.33 KiB) Viewed 2521 times
oil_pan.jpg
Oil pan to replace my spaghetti strainer oil pan.
oil_pan.jpg (450.58 KiB) Viewed 2521 times

Good going in your Plymouth! :driving:

Paul Schettner
'49plymouth.com - Webmaster

blueskies
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Post by blueskies » Thu Sep 18th, 2008 2:16

Paul-

Looks like you got a great deal on your parts. I think I paid about $400 for my 230 crank, and another $60 for the flywheel.

One think to note about the power wagon flywheel, is that it doesn't look like it is drilled for the 9 1/4" passenger car clutch. My 230 flywheel wasn't drilled for the car clutch either, so I had to have a local machine shop drill and tap the holes for me.

Best-

Pete

Specialdeluxe
Administrator
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Post by Specialdeluxe » Fri Sep 19th, 2008 4:03

blueskies wrote:Paul-

Looks like you got a great deal on your parts. I think I paid about $400 for my 230 crank, and another $60 for the flywheel.

One think to note about the power wagon flywheel, is that it doesn't look like it is drilled for the 9 1/4" passenger car clutch. My 230 flywheel wasn't drilled for the car clutch either, so I had to have a local machine shop drill and tap the holes for me.

Best-

Pete
Pete,

Checked out the flywheel today and you are correct. It needs to be drilled and tapped. I think I was lucky to find a source for the parts so close. Power Wagon John is a 10 minute drive away so there were no shipping costs.

Paul -

Good going in your Plymouth! :driving:

Paul Schettner
'49plymouth.com - Webmaster

freyoc
Hey! I'm new here.

Re: 2008-09-12 - Engine Parts - Power Wagon John

Post by freyoc » Tue Mar 25th, 2014 2:31

if you could get me johns info i would like to call him and talk to him about a project i want to start
tommy
612-518-8613

Johnny_S

Re: 2008-09-12 - Engine Parts - Power Wagon John

Post by Johnny_S » Mon Apr 21st, 2014 4:48

From a website .... http://www.dodgeclassictrucks.com/newretroparts.html

Quoting: "New replacement, molded black rubber floor mat to fit most Dodge and Fargo trucks 1954-58 except C.O.E. and the civilian Power Wagon models. This mat will fit all D and W model std. cab trucks 1954-58 including Cab, Cab and chassis, Express, Sweptline, Sweptside, UtilineTown Wagon, Town Panel and Stake trucks of all weights with any transmissions. It will also fit the 1959-1960 Dodge and Fargo trucks and the 1961-1966 Town Wagons and Panels with a little trimming [check out the second photo of my 1964 Power Wagon Panel]. This black mat is newly manufactured in 2007 and is made of pure live rubber, it is very ply-able and is very heavy duty weighing about 10 pounds. It is approx. .10" thick and measures approx. 40" X 59" and has cut outs for the accelerator pedal and rod, high beam switch, steering column and an optional cut out for the heater. If necessary you can cut out for the transmission shifter and other shifters. This mat is also molded to fit the contours of the floor and transmission cover, it covers door to door and from just in front of the seat up the firewall about 15". This is a very nice replacement mat, these have not been available for over 15 years! We have a limited quantity so don't miss out. Buyer pays shipping, this item guaranteed as long as it is not cut or damaged. John Geidl, "powerwagonjohn", E-mail cjlapham@yahoo.com, Phone 651 653 0147, 541 Bear Ave N., St. Paul, MN 55127"