2008-10-06 - Painting Parts

Check here for progress updates on the webmaster's P18 restoration.

Moderator: Specialdeluxe

Specialdeluxe
Administrator
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

2008-10-06 - Painting Parts

Post by Specialdeluxe » Mon Oct 6th, 2008 9:33

I'm trying out the Rustoleum for suspension paint. Last time I painted the parts I used rattle cans. The parts had been sandblasted, degreased and metal prepped. I shot 2 coats of rusty metal primer on them. That sat on there for a week. Then I sanded them and shot 2 coats of the aluminum color. That's been on there for about two weeks. I found that I could scratch at the surface with my thumbnail and see primer real easy. The primer was real tough though. I think I waited too long to put the color on after priming and actually should have skipped the primer since I used the metal prep. I don't think the rattle cans gave me enough coverage either. Today I used a scotch brite pad and sanded all of the parts then used an automotive sprayer to apply the paint. Two coats and no additives were used. I have the parts hanging in a metal shed and I'm hoping the sun will heat it up pretty good.
Attachments
painted_in_shed.jpg
painted_in_shed.jpg (201.64 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
painted_control_arms.jpg
painted_control_arms.jpg (194.23 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
painted_parts02.jpg
painted_parts02.jpg (212.65 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
painted_rear.jpg
painted_rear.jpg (195.31 KiB) Viewed 1455 times

Good going in your Plymouth! :driving:

Paul Schettner
'49plymouth.com - Webmaster

snids53
Tire Kicker

Re: 2008-10-06 - Painting Parts

Post by snids53 » Sat Aug 8th, 2009 4:15

you have probably figured this out by now...but for others...i love rustoleum...have used it for years on many things...and its great for suspension pieces...

i spoke with the rusteloum people directly a few times...if you have clean metal or nearly clean metal (light rust) use clean metal primer ...if heavy rust use the rusty metal primer...if you switch these around at the wrong time you could have adhesion problems...i spray it on with an automotive gun and dilute it about 10% with spirits...then i followed up with gloss black professional diluted and sprayed same dilution as primer.

if i have more than light surface rust i do this:
clean/degrease
blast
metal prep
clean with spirits and a paper towel
primer
paint

if i just have light surface rust and everything is pretty smooth i skip the blasting....if you use an etch primer dont use a metal prep i have been told

im looking into a clear coat on top to further protect and shine but need to do some research...

Specialdeluxe
Administrator

Post by Specialdeluxe » Sat Aug 8th, 2009 4:52

That's pretty close to the process I did. I cleaned the parts in a parts washer, sandblasted, used marine clean and a metal prep prior to the rusty metal primer. I found that temperature/humidity could cause problems and that you shouldn't wait too long between shooting the primer and painting. Everything seems to be holding up well and it's easy to do touch-ups.
clean/degrease
blast
metal prep
clean with spirits and a paper towel
primer
paint

Good going in your Plymouth! :driving:

Paul Schettner
'49plymouth.com - Webmaster

snids53
Tire Kicker

Post by snids53 » Sat Aug 15th, 2009 6:38

everything is looking great! If life doesnt throw me a curve ball i should have the chassis rollin this month...the cab is in etch primer right now and i will be doing the metal work over the winter.