2008-11-14 - Front Coil Installed

Check here for progress updates on the webmaster's P18 restoration.

Moderator: Specialdeluxe

Specialdeluxe
Administrator
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

2008-11-14 - Front Coil Installed

Post by Specialdeluxe » Sat Nov 15th, 2008 12:35

I tried to install my coil springs last weekend. The spring isolators that were used on my car looked good to me but when I tried to use them they shattered. I ordered some new ones from Roberts Motor Parts. When they arrived I could see why the other ones broke like they did. The new ones were soft and pliable whereas the old ones were hard. Everything went together real easy. I used a jack under the control arm and a ratchet strap to cinch things up.
Attachments
front_completed.jpg
front_completed.jpg (222.71 KiB) Viewed 3049 times
front_coil_installed.jpg
front_coil_installed.jpg (228.22 KiB) Viewed 3048 times
front_coil_and_isolator.jpg
front_coil_and_isolator.jpg (240.33 KiB) Viewed 3048 times
front_coil_isolator.jpg
front_coil_isolator.jpg (211.09 KiB) Viewed 3048 times
front_coil_strapped.jpg
front_coil_strapped.jpg (231.36 KiB) Viewed 3048 times
Last edited by Specialdeluxe on Sun Nov 16th, 2008 10:31, edited 1 time in total.

Good going in your Plymouth! :driving:

Paul Schettner
'49plymouth.com - Webmaster

plym49
Flathead Fixer

Post by plym49 » Sun Nov 16th, 2008 8:45

Boy, that front end looks nice! Not used to seeing them without 60 years of grease and gravel providing anti-rust.

Specialdeluxe
Administrator

Post by Specialdeluxe » Sun Nov 16th, 2008 9:37

plym49 wrote:Boy, that front end looks nice! Not used to seeing them without 60 years of grease and gravel providing anti-rust.
Thanks! The whole front end is a mix of new, NOS and salvaged parts. At the salvage yards, the cars with the messy looking grease caked parts are often the best bet for usable stuff.

Paul Schettner

snids53
Tire Kicker

Re: 2008-11-14 - Front Coil Installed

Post by snids53 » Sun Aug 23rd, 2009 7:56

couple questions as i am in this stage...

first...does anybody know the torque specs for the 4 bolts the bolt the upper control arm into the frame on top? i think i torqued mine to much...torqued them to 70ftlb...all of them are ok except one turned...

second...is there a trick to installing the springs? do they have to be seated a certain way...both mine had spacers on both sides on the bottom...dont know if i will reuse them...

can you tell me where to put the hardware that bolts up the lower control arms to the frames...i am referring specifically to the two flat metal pieces and the to "U" shaped pieces that help bolt the lower control arm to the frame....i cant find anywhere in my parts book, service manual, my old pics, or you resto process that shows how they go back on...

(I posted pics of the misc. parts in the suspension section)
Last edited by snids53 on Mon Jan 11th, 2010 5:39, edited 1 time in total.

Specialdeluxe
Administrator

Post by Specialdeluxe » Thu Aug 27th, 2009 5:44

The manual only says to install the attaching bolts and to tighten securely.

The spacers are to help reduce noise. In the shop manuals I have seen one spacer used for 46-49 and two spacers, (one top and one bottom of spring) for 50 and up. I picked up a set of new ones from Roberts Motor Parts.
Attachments
coil_spring_install.jpg
coil_spring_install.jpg (85.52 KiB) Viewed 2867 times

Paul Schettner

snids53
Tire Kicker

Post by snids53 » Thu Aug 27th, 2009 6:48

Specialdeluxe wrote:The manual only says to install the attaching bolts and to tighten securely.

The spacers are to help reduce noise. In the shop manuals I have seen one spacer used for 46-49 and two spacers, (one top and one bottom of spring) for 50 and up. I picked up a set of new ones from Roberts Motor Parts.
thanks paul! these things i have are different than the rubber silencers...they kind of look like horse shoes...i imagine they were used for sagging springs??? if they sagged with the ol flathead in there they will really sag with the new big block.

i will get you those pics on the mysterious hardware and see if you or anybody else can help...

p.s....are you interested in me detailing how i have done some of the things in my resto? a few things i have done a little different...nothing earthshattering though...just thought you have helped me so much maybe some other details might help somebody else...

i will try to get those pics on this weekend.

roughn3ck
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Deluxe_2dr_Sedan

Post by roughn3ck » Sat Aug 29th, 2009 10:08

hell yea i would love to see how youve done things i like seeing someone do something diffrent esp when it works and im always looking for new ideas

snids53
Tire Kicker

Post by snids53 » Sun Aug 30th, 2009 7:22

i will do some updates in a nut shell here but maybe piggy back off of some of pauls pages if i did anything a little different. Paul has helped me out so much i would be moving nearly as fast if it werent for this site. i didnt do as good of job taking pics at every stage because usually it was just me in the garage with my hands all dirty and only my wifes camera...you get the drift...i will send paul the pics i have sometime though of the stages i have done.

bought the car mid june and started tear down immeditely. take pics, take notes, and keep everything until the car is back together. put stuff in ziploc bags and lable with markers. lable big parts with paint pin or put a piece of tape on part and write what it is/where it goes. people get to ansy in this stage and end up loosing parts, forgetting what they are, or running things by hastily taking them off. i tried first very hard to take everything off like i had to reuse it...until i had to use more desperate measures.

i had the bare cab of the car and the frame media blasted so i knew what i was dealing with for metal work...i would have blasted it myself but got a great price, great service, and right now i live in town so blasting big parts is to messy. im blasting most everything else myself in a little HF blast cabinet. as soon as i got the frame and cab back...i put the cab in etch primer right away with 1 tack and 1 wet coat, it will stay in this as i do the metal work all winter long...the cab is sitting on 2x12s and cement blocks much like pauls idea...i put the frame in rustoleum clean metal primer and proffessional gloss black...all of my suspension pieces will be painted the exact same...im diggin the blacked out look...im doing the scarebird bracket

snids53
Tire Kicker

Post by snids53 » Sun Aug 30th, 2009 7:35

im doing a 8.1L vortec big block...got the motor mounts from street performance. my neighbor gave me an 8.8 rearend out of his wrecked 93/94 explorer that i will freshen up and put in the back...otherwise im keeping the rest of the suspension stock hopefully but might have to change the steering due to clearance issues with stock setup and my big block...will be able to tell more on that later as i go through those stages...i plan on doing everything i can do myself.

also pulled the rear sway bar setup off the explorer i got the rear from...will try to fab that into the rear as well...going with stocker rear shocks as of right now...but went with heavier duty truck shocks for the front due to the big block. might fab some lowering blocks up if i dont like the stance...maybe fab up some fender skirts and see how they look...might do some homeade ladder bars on the rear if needed. im gonna build a custom grill out of something to be determined as mine is junk...the exterior...i will try to fab in/install more modern tail lights, get rid of most of the chrome trim and fill in the holes for a smooth body all around.