1997 - Car Shows and Troubles

Check here for progress updates on the webmaster's P18 restoration.

Moderator: Specialdeluxe

Specialdeluxe
Administrator
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

1997 - Car Shows and Troubles

Post by Specialdeluxe » Sun Jan 18th, 2009 11:41

I took the Plymouth to a few car shows and was driving it to college and work everyday. I hauled a lot of painting in the back seat and trunk of that car. Another great memory I have with the car was taking it to the Back to the 50's weekend at the fairgrounds. Then there was the cruising around during the show. I ended up in between 2 cars with huge engines and blowers as we headed toward the grandstand area. That's where people took their turn doing burn outs and such to the cheers of the crowd. Great I thought, this is going to be embarrassing. I took my turn and revved the flathead as best as I could. They cheered! Alright Mopar! Yay Plymouth! Nice car! For the event they had reserved a drive in movie theater one night for those who registered for the weekend. Sure was cool to see a drive in full of old cars as we watched Rebel Without a Cause in the Plymouth. Now, remember, I was 21 in 1997 and had never been to a drive in where all the cars were old.

Took the car to a couple other shows. Had only one incident with the Plymouth. I was on the freeway and evidently had a cotter key wear out. The nut holding the brake drum on worked itself off the spindle and the wheel with attached drum came loose. Luckily the fender kept the wheel on the car. Only damage was a skuffed white wall and a couple of dings in the axle. I think it was a bit into 1998 maybe that the engine started to run funny and I stopped driving it and stuck it in the garage.
BTT50s_01.jpg
Back to the 50's - 1997 at the MN State Fair Grounds. The picture makes it look like the car was leaking all over the place.
BTT50s_01.jpg (256.33 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
BTT50s_02.jpg
Back to the 50's - 1997 at the MN State Fair Grounds
BTT50s_02.jpg (221.27 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
osceola.jpg
Osceola - Wheels and Wings car show - Motorbooks.
osceola.jpg (273.17 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
ellingson.jpg
Ellingson car Museum in Rogers Minnesota
ellingson.jpg (210.36 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
cotter_key.jpg
Towed home after wheel almost came off.
cotter_key.jpg (253.69 KiB) Viewed 1150 times
garaged.jpg
There she sat until 2000.
garaged.jpg (191.23 KiB) Viewed 1150 times

Good going in your Plymouth! :driving:

Paul Schettner