Cruisin'

Introduce yourself and your Plymouth here.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

Root Beer Stand
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Root Beer Stand » Tue Jul 22nd, 2008 3:25

Johnny_S wrote:What color is the trunk painted? Are the fender-wells (inside the trunk) painted the same color as the body is or are they painted steel-grey? The steel-grey color is the original color.
Have to look, know the interior of the the doors is green, firewall but not the wiring and other stuff on the firewall

RBS

Root Beer Stand
Deluxe Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Root Beer Stand » Fri Jul 25th, 2008 3:34

Going on our 1st cruise with others this evening.
Several street rods and us LOL!
Should be fun, taking lawn chairs and going for a few runs up and down the main drag of town and then watching the big bunch of bikes at our vocational center. They are here for a few days for the Honda Homecoming.

RBS

Root Beer Stand
Deluxe Member

Re: Cruisin'

Post by Root Beer Stand » Sat Apr 18th, 2009 5:46

We took her (Lucille) out of the barn today for a well needed bath and quick wax.
Over the winter added a brake light in the back window and perswaded everything else to work save the radio..Think it is shot forever but we still talk and sing a lot with the kids. OOPS! The parking brake still needs new lining!
Today there was a big car show in town, we drove by and got a lot of thumbs ups and a "nice car" from one guy.
Been finding stuff here and there for spares. Still would like a new set of center caps and another brake light lense to replace the cracked one.
NEXT planned trip will be to a drive in theater! A couple still running within 35 miles of here. Been I bet 30 years (1st summer we were married) since the wife and I went to one and our kids and grandkids have never had the pleasure of outdoor movie entertainment...........What a shame........We are going to change that this summer!
From what we read on a web site http://www.drive-ins.com/srchdest.htm?n ... earch.y=12 for drive-ins most are using the car's FM radios for the sound. Will take a battery powered radio just in case the ole metal window hangers have been scapped..

RBS
"Lucille" the Grandkids, the Mrs, and me!!

Johnny_S
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Post by Johnny_S » Sat Apr 18th, 2009 8:26

What kind of brake light lens you lookin' for? How about one with a blue-light in the center?

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Sat Apr 18th, 2009 8:30

Which radio do you have? Is it the 603 or the 803? The 803 has 7 push-buttons and the 603 has 5. They are often fairly easy to fix OR they are available via eBay .... sometimes a decent one might be had for under $200 fully repaired. Usually about $50 for a good core.

roughn3ck
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Deluxe_2dr_Sedan

Post by roughn3ck » Sun Apr 19th, 2009 7:15

man thats a nice find well done on getting your car

Root Beer Stand
Deluxe Member

Post by Root Beer Stand » Sun Apr 19th, 2009 9:35

Thanks Rough!

Johnny
The radio has 7 buttons. Do the remanned ones still use 6V pos ground? Lucille still has her original and repaired 6V sytem.
Tell me more about the lense please. In ohio some of the lenses people were putting the blue inserts in are now not allowed. At least that's what I heard but wouldn't be hard to find out. :)

Thanks guys!

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Sun Apr 19th, 2009 6:53

Radios .... yes. You can have the original radio rebuilt and keep it 6 volt positive. Or, you can have the radio rebuilt and convert it to 12 volt and have FM installed ... maybe even a CD hookup.

Taillight lens. I have what I believe is an NOS taillight lens for the 49 but it has the blue dot. They aren't allowed someplaces. I don't think I have any without the blue dot however. You are talking about the single brake lite lens in the middle of the trunk? Yes?

John

Root Beer Stand
Deluxe Member

Post by Root Beer Stand » Mon Apr 20th, 2009 4:18

It is the single brake light lense in the middle of the trunk lid, right below the license plate Johnny.
If it is in fact NOS I would assume that it would be grandfathered in as it was probably a factory option when "Lucille" was made.

Not sure what I am going to do about the radio yet but thanks for the info!
Been thinking about an fm tuner, cd player and amp in the trunk running off a 12V battery but still not sure what will happen.

RBS

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Mon Apr 20th, 2009 7:27

I'm using the "NOS" term a little too loosely here. A more accurate statement is probably "it's NEW and OLD .... but probably was never STOCK".....more of an aftermarket piece I'm sure. The tail-light lens that is.

As to the radio. Some folks actually have had success running a 6v to 12v converter if the power demands are too intense. I think JC Whitney carries them and probably others. I know the discussion has been had on the P15-D24 fourm and probably on the H.A.M.B. forum among others. I also know of others who have also gone either the 12v battery in the trunk route OR have gotten one of those 12v portable power packs and used that. And, others have just used a battery powered "Boom Box" in the back seat! So, there are options for sure. I for one am ok with AM coming out of a single scratchy speaker.

roughn3ck
Deluxe Member

Post by roughn3ck » Tue Apr 21st, 2009 6:58

i run a 12 volt battery in my trunk and installed a radio under my chair works out good and my battery last a long time befor needing a recharge that way i didnt have to change anything having to do with the original condition of the car and it was cheep and easy to do without anyone knowing i have a radio and the drive ins do use a fm station but if there are alot of people there you wont even need to use your radio becouse its like watching a movie at home with surround sound people crank it up and watch from out side there cars its kinda cool

Root Beer Stand
Deluxe Member

Post by Root Beer Stand » Tue Apr 21st, 2009 4:52

Johnny, sent you a PM :) Also have looked at 6-12 V converters.
Have had one bookmarked that runs about $150 but a little leary about the output claims and drain on the 6v battery and charging system. http://www.pressenter.com/~cmeyer/MES612NG8A.html
If we do go with a modern system for "lucille" I would like it to have a modest thump.
Been a music buff all my life and enjoy it with a lot of bass and fair volume LOL
Have 2 18" subs in the garage looking for a home other than the boxes.:)

Rough
How long will your battery last and what type of system do you have?

On a side note......We have friends and family who live in or close to what we here call in our small town "the hood".
We get more looks and saying "nice car" from the kids there than anywhere else in town.
Bet hearing her thump before seeing her would make us the envy of our "hood"

Thanks!
RBS

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Tue Apr 21st, 2009 5:21

Two batteries then! :mrgreen:

Root Beer Stand
Deluxe Member

Post by Root Beer Stand » Tue Apr 21st, 2009 6:05

Johnny_S wrote:Two batteries then! :mrgreen:
How about?
One GREAT big one!
Honestly, most of the time won't even use any sound but would be nice for trips more than into town etc. One 500CA would probably be more than enough I think.
At the drive in it would be awesome.........Well the local hood too!! lol

RBS

roughn3ck
Deluxe Member

Post by roughn3ck » Wed Apr 22nd, 2009 3:51

im just running a 200 watt creg radio with 4 100 watt speakers nothing real loud but im with you im a big fan of rocking out and i think it works good and my battery last about a month or two weeks depending on how much i drive the car or how much i use the radio but i need to run some kind of power cut off switch so my little red light on the radio will turn off and wont drain the battery faster when not in use but i just give it a charge for a couple of hours the night befor or what ever if i know im going to be driving for a long time and i got the biggest battery i could fit behind my spare tire