The cost of parts

Post here for Products and Vendor announcements, questions and reviews.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

p18plywood
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Station_Wagon

The cost of parts

Post by p18plywood » Fri Nov 28th, 2008 4:40

I placed an order with RockAuto for mostly engine gaskets and seals for what will hopefully be just a freshen up of one of the engines I have to put in the woodie. Their prices are usually pretty good, but you have to watch the shipping costs. If the parts come from several different warehouses, the shipping can be more than the parts. Anyhow this all got me thinking and comparing prices more closely. Here is what I've found. RockAuto I already mentioned. The big parts guys are usually pretty close in price( Bernbaum, Roberts,etc). The service and selection may be the real deciding factor. Neil Riddle seems to have gotten a little more pricey, at least on his ebay stuff. Finally, ebay is definitely a buyer beware situation. You must know your parts when it comes to what fits and the average price. I see people paying as much or more for parts as the dealers charge. Dealers on ebay start their auctions off at their list price so that after a few bids you will be paying more than their everyday catalog price. I don't have money to burn and I doubt any of you do either.
Good luck,
Gerry

Johnny_S
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Post by Johnny_S » Fri Nov 28th, 2008 5:25

One of the things Paul and I have confirmed is that you should also check Amazon.com for prices as well. Amazon doesn't stock it all but sometimes they have the best price AND free shipping. Make sure you check them out too!!

Specialdeluxe
Administrator
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Re: The cost of parts

Post by Specialdeluxe » Sat Nov 29th, 2008 2:42

I tend to price out each item that I buy, first checking Roberts and Valley Vintage. Then I check ebay and now, thanks to Johnny_S, Amazon. There are several suppliers that I just don't bother to check with anymore due to their prices or reputation. On ebay I decide on my bid price and let it ride. One things for sure, the stuff isn't going to get any cheaper.

What do you guys think about the mail order suppliers? I find that if I can't buy it online or I have to send them a letter first, I don't bother.

:popcorn:

Good going in your Plymouth! :driving:

Paul Schettner
'49plymouth.com - Webmaster

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Sat Nov 29th, 2008 7:17

I tend to price things as well but sometimes I just buy the first one I find. I weigh the amount of time that it takes to look for an item with the potential estimated savings. And .... sometimes I'm just plain wrong and could have saved more if I took the time to look.

There doesn't seem to be any universal best place on all parts collectively in my experience. I do appreciate great customer service and will pay more for that and conversely I shy away from poor customer service, which to me includes not being at least a little friendly even if the vendor is knowledgeable. And that's not because I'm the quiet type who doesn't like conflict .... quite the opposite when the situation calls for it .... I just don't need the hassle! So, when you deal with good customer service folks and even IF you pay more you will learn more from "trial" and less from "error" which is quite efficient.

I agree completely with Paul that it looks like the prices on "our" era of parts will just continue to go up ... albeit maybe not at the same rate as all cars. I've seen NOS taillight lenses go from $5-10 a piece to at least $20 and more these days. Stainless steel door handle protectors from $15 a pair to $50-60 for new ones often. Hubcaps from $5 each to $20 plus each even with some dings. I still buy and sell some on eBay (more buying than selling for sure) but do pretty much like Paul does .... cast my lot with a single bid and if I win it great and if I don't that's fine too. There are a few items that I hover over and play the game with but not many .... and those are mostly items that are once in a long-while to once in a life-time things and are generally not '49 Plymouth related.

I also think that the forums we frequent .... this one, 49-50Plymouth, Old Plymouths, P15-D24, HAMB and others can also be great places to find parts .... maybe one of the best if you aren't in a huge hurry. Generally the cost is right and it often helps with that "Trial" part rather than the "Error" part. 'Cause generally the customer service is good, the person at the other end is knowledgeable, and largely because they just love to see another car like theirs on the road. And, the interaction with others helps tease our some of the nuance differences between applications that you might otherwise miss just going to an online vendor and buying the part that lists '49 Plymouth' as a correct application.

oldies62
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Post by oldies62 » Wed Sep 21st, 2011 8:20

You guys are all correct on buying parts. I've been buying parts from Roberts, Moores, and others but they have gotten pretty expensive. I stay away from e-bay because sometimes their ridiculous. I am always on the internet looking for parts on Craigslist, but you have to be very careful who you can trust on there. They have a lot of scammers on there. I usually use Paypal to pay for all my parts on-line. I am currently working on getting a lot of chrome pieces from a guy back East. He seem okay over the phone but I still have to be very careful. If you look in the IOWA craigslist they have a couple of 1949-50 Plymouths for sale. The best to all you on your parts searching. For engine parts there is :EGGE ENGINE @866-996-EGGE or http://www.egge.com. Greg Mena

bmw2002e3
Tire Kicker
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Post by bmw2002e3 » Sun Sep 23rd, 2012 12:05

For some stuff, what I had done was browse the rock auto website, get all the part numbers and go down to NAPA with them, often my local NAPA (here in Calgary) has what I need. I'd buy from rock auto but they rape me for shipping to Canada...

SepmaAshey
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Post by SepmaAshey » Thu Nov 8th, 2012 12:45

eBay generally has someone listing floor panels .
Fresh-up with DVD sales online, and feast your eyes with Glee Season 3 dvd.

UlmeWalace
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by UlmeWalace » Fri Dec 14th, 2012 2:20

Amazon doesn't stock it all but sometimes they have the best price AND free shipping.
Desperate Housewives Seasons 1-8 dvd-It's a dangerous world. So we all look for protection.