Tail Lights/Brake Lights/Turn Signals

Post here if your question or comment doesn't fit a topic below.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

Franklyn
Flathead Fixer
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Tail Lights/Brake Lights/Turn Signals

Post by Franklyn » Thu Mar 24th, 2011 12:42

Any one have any luck running taillights, brake lights AND turn signals out of the 49 Plymouth taillight housings? care to explain?

Johnny_S
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Re: Tail Lights/Brake Lights/Turn Signals

Post by Johnny_S » Thu Mar 24th, 2011 9:52

The short answer is "yes" ... but I'm not the one to be able to fully explain. The gist is that you need to replace the single pole sockets in the tail lights with dual pole sockets and then rewire from the block in the upper left hand (back) side of the trunk. I'm pretty certain we've talked about the details here on the forum before .... I'd search the archives for detail.

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Thu Mar 24th, 2011 9:54

Yep ... found it ... here's the link.

http://www.49plymouth.com/forum/viewtop ... ghts#p1960

Franklyn
Flathead Fixer

Post by Franklyn » Thu Mar 24th, 2011 10:09

Thanks!
I'll give it a read through

dsweidman
Deluxe Member

Post by dsweidman » Fri Mar 25th, 2011 5:26

I actually added an additional 2 post socket in my tail light housings. One bulb is for brake lights and running lights, the other bulb is for the signal light. Not hard to do.

http://1949convertible.webs.com/apps/ph ... d=17623021

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Fri Mar 25th, 2011 6:11

Scott ... have you described this dual bulb setup in any posted thread already .... looks quite interesting.

dsweidman
Deluxe Member

Post by dsweidman » Fri Mar 25th, 2011 9:38

No, I don't think I've ever described the process, I've only mentioned it from time to time. Basicaly, the lights run on seperate circuits. I followed the schematic in the manaual for the original lighting set up. That took care of the brakes and running light. The signal light wires were run seperately, again, as the schematic shows, but it runs to a seperate bulb. The brightest filament in each bulb are for the brakes and signal light, respectively.

The extra socket I installed was a spare set I just happened to have, but I'm sure any aftermarket socket would work. It's interesting that the spare set of tail light housings had the socket mounted horizontaly, and the housings on my car had the socket mounted verticaly. I guess the factory had different suppliers of the sockets and they just attached differently. Go figure...

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Fri Mar 25th, 2011 9:56

I think like your headlight rebuild at your website this would be a well received "new" concept to document with photos and discussion. I have several of the housings with both horizontal and vertical bulbs ... not restored. I could take some photos if necessary and useful.

John

dsweidman
Deluxe Member

Post by dsweidman » Fri Mar 25th, 2011 10:14

Good thinking! I'll consider putting something together.

Franklyn
Flathead Fixer

Post by Franklyn » Sun Mar 27th, 2011 11:44

I'd like to see the inner guts of these housings that you guys speak of, that have vertical bulb housing as opposed to horizontal. Unless I'm understanding it incorectly, seems my bulbs are horizontal, and if there is room for a 2nd bulb all together situated vertically, this would seem to me like to smartest solution to have fully functioning tailights.

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Sun Mar 27th, 2011 11:54

Here is the parts complex for the taillights ... note the socket (removed) ....
Attachments
1949 Plymouth Taillight Housing 18.jpg
1949 Plymouth Taillight Housing 18.jpg (58.72 KiB) Viewed 7982 times

dsweidman
Deluxe Member

Post by dsweidman » Sun Mar 27th, 2011 2:07

Here is a picture of my tail lights. The verticle (up & down) bulb & socket is what came stock with the car. The horizonatal bulb is what I added. There is plenty of room for both.
Attachments
TAIL LITE 1.jpg
TAIL LITE 1.jpg (260.11 KiB) Viewed 7982 times
TAIL LITE.jpg
TAIL LITE.jpg (230.8 KiB) Viewed 7982 times
Last edited by dsweidman on Sat Apr 9th, 2011 8:01, edited 2 times in total.

Franklyn
Flathead Fixer

Post by Franklyn » Mon Mar 28th, 2011 1:57

dsweidman,
looks great!
that simplifies the wiring harness in a big way with out having to add any diodes or whatever.

though does the horizontal bulb get blocked at all by the vertical bulb? seems like the bulb nearest to the back would block some of the light?
how do they perform when all three functions are being used, are the turn signals fairly distinct above a bright brake light?

dsweidman
Deluxe Member

Post by dsweidman » Mon Mar 28th, 2011 9:58

I have been using this set up for a couple years now. There is no light blockage that I can see. I have tested every variation of the lights that would be normaly expected and it all works fine. I have had drivers follow me at different times of day and they do not have any trouble seeing the signals or the brakes. However, in very bright sunlight, they are not as visible as modern day lighting, so, I apply the signals and brakes way ahead of time. No problems at all at night. As long as the signals and the brake lights are set up on the filament with the brightest candle power. (As you know, double filament bulbs have two candle powers, one being brighter than the other.)

Good luck with yours.
Scott

Astron 1949
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Club_Coupe

Post by Astron 1949 » Wed Jul 20th, 2011 11:33

Yep, I have this exact same set-up as described. None of it worked, but with the aid of a wiring diagram and some 'deep' thought :) I've managed to get, running lights and turn signals on the dual filament horizontal bulbs. Then I ran a 'hot' wire from the horn relay to one side of the brake light switch and from the other pole on the switch, ran a 12ga wire through a convenient hole in the trunk, directly to the single pole vertical wiring harness.
I now have three brake lights, the two shown and the original center one under the licence plate. 8)

Fred.